Saturday, May 26, 2007

Opening Shots

I have been thinking for some time about starting to blog regularly, so here goes. My son Caleb (1/7 of my kids) and I are on a trip to Missouri to connect with college kids about our ministry.

We work and live in Chicago's historic Southside, ministering across racial lines and among a community that is disproportionately poor. My thoughts, passion and self-study is primarily around ministerial, theological and historical issues about the city in general and my community in particular. I read quite a bit and plan to add thoughts about my perspectives on what the gospel means in general and how its witness through God's people in the city is a challenge rarely understood.

I often tell our staff that "if you are done learning you are done ministering here". I mention this because I am not going to write as "the one who understands" but rather as one called by Christ to love him, live in the city, and build bridges through the gospel.

No comments: